"Learning to knit was a snap. It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me."
Erma Bombeck

Monday, October 19, 2009


CLASSIC KNITS NEWSLETTER 5
Fall 2009
It is so wonderful to finally be able to open the windows and let in some fresh air। I think we had a brief hint of fall for a couple of days in late September, but it was just that, a hint, a tease। Today really feels like fall. And sometime soon, I may be able to wear this......




I’ve been knitting rather diligently on my Hanne Falkenburg Pagode jacket. I purchased the kit several years ago from Unique One, a lovely yarn shop in Camden, Maine. I was able to rationalize the splurge because they had a shop sample already knit up, and I was able to try it on. I loved it, bought it, cast on immediately, and made great progress until Katrina chaos turned my house upside down. Thereafter I’ve knit on it sporadically and now lo and behold… I’m nearly finished. If the knitting trolls don’t play some horrid trick on me, and we have some semblance of cold weather, I may actually get to wear it this winter. I must confess that I'm a bit weary of navy garter stitch, but I've set a goal of sixteen rows (about an inch) per day, and at that rate I should be finished in three weeks. I know an inch doesn't seem like much, but it is garter stitch on size 3 needles. I have discovered that I can even enjoy a movie with subtitles while I knit it.


My thought process for knitting choices works somewhat like the Magic 8 Ball (invented in 1946, it was wildly popular during my childhood)...one turns the ball over, then asks a question, turns the ball right side up, and the answer floats to a window at the top. Life frequently turns my brain upside down, hence the analogy.

The 20 standard answers on a Magic 8-Ball are here on the left.....
My 20 not so standard answers are on the right.

As I see it, yes.........................A new project, yes.
It is certain .......................You'd rather be knitting.
It is decidedly so ......................................A tee.
Most likely ........................................For Sharen.
Outlook good.......................If you knit it, it will fit.
Signs point to yes ......................................Socks.
Without a doubt.....................................Cardigan.
Yes ........................................................Scarf.
Yes - definitely....Time for Stash Enhancement eXpedition).
You may rely on it .....................Ask Bette (Bornside).
Reply hazy, try again .................It's the #@%! pattern.
Ask again later ..................Better re-check your gauge.
Better not tell you now.....You may not have enough yarn.
Cannot predict now................Think about it tomorrow.
Concentrate and ask again ...............What would EZ do?
Don't count on it ...................Maybe no one will notice.
My reply is no.............................................Tink it.
My sources say no .........................Frog (rip-it, rip-it).
Outlook not so good..........................Let it hibernate.
Very doubtful...Destined to be a UFO (UnFinished Object).




Knitty Magazine is celeabrating a seventh year anniversary this fall. In addition to checking out their patterns, I also read Techniques With Theresa, CoolStuff, and most of the other featured articles. If I worked for Consumer Reports I would rank it a Best Buy, a terrific magazine that is free. Even the advertisers are good (they pay for the magazine), and it is a mini shop crawl to follow their links. Kudos to the The Knitty Level of Difficulty Index - it is more helpful (and it makes me smile) than the typical "Beginner - Easy - Intemediate - Experienced" ratings.

Mellow
- Suitable for beginners.
- Relaxing, not mentally taxing.
Tangy
- Fun things with zing. A twist, even.
- Friendly and unintimidating: very knittable by most knitters.
Piquant
- A little something for the seasoned knitter. Daring but not exhausting.
- Probably not tv knitting.
Extraspicy
- Suitable for those with a lot of experience. Or patience. Or both.
- These babies have teeth. Hoo boy.

During a recent foray into Books-A-Million, I counted nine knitting magazines, in my book (or magazine) that's terrific. Naturally I had to show my support for BAM and the national economy by buying a couple of them. On a another day I was in Barnes & Noble, and i enjoyed flipping through Fairy Tale Knits: 32 projects to Knit Happily Ever After. Two timeless traditions - fairy tales and knitting - come together magically in the season's most enchanting knitting book. This is a truly beautiful book, and if you knit for children, it may be a must have. The suggested yarns are easy-care too. Amazon.com is offering two free patterns from Fairy Tale Knits at this link:


http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000407921


Click on the pictures for a closer look at the Princess Crown Hat (perfect for Mardi Gras), and the Snow Queen Coat. I think the crown would be great for a young prince too. And new free patterns for Petite Purls are out too ---- another talented designer.


Another web site (non- knitting) that is fun and useful is http://www.paperbackswap.com/. I've used it quite a few times with no problems. You don't have to swap, 1 credit (for one book) costs about $3.00, and the selection of titles is amazing. The books I've received have all been in pristine condition, and have arrived about a week after being requested.


Let me know how you like my new format for my newsletter. I thought the blog format would be easier to access - no download necessary. I enjoy the writing and I hope you enjoy reading what I write.


Since the holidays are fast approaching, I shall try to add a link to a "quick and easy" gift pattern each week. So check back reguarly, and don't forget to leave feed back at the bottom of the blog page. I also have a couple of new classes planned for January. And finally here is a a pattern I use often.

Click on the image to enlarge it.







No comments: