"Learning to knit was a snap. It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me."
Erma Bombeck

Saturday, April 24, 2010

There is no vaccine for Farmville Mania.


There was a time in my life when the time I spent on the computer was strictly utilitarian. I had recently gone back to school to get an education degree, and my family wanted an Apple PC for Christmas. I remember saying something like, "Okay, but I hope y'all use it, because I'll be busy with school, " etc. We were the second family, of all our aquaintances, to have a home computer (not counting my engineer brother who built his own!) Even though I had a new typewriter (w/ word processor!), that big Apple dinosaur was a workhorse---term papers and essays made easy, footnotes - no problem, abstracts combining class notes and textbook notes - simple. I copied a knitting gauge conversion program from Knitter's Magazine, and soon after that I wrote a comsumer survey program for a class project. However we resisted internet acess for a year or two, but when we relented I fell into the net that is the worldwide web. It has been wonderful to able to have access all kinds of information about my hobbies and special interests, but I never really experienced to obsessessive nature of computer games until I played Farmville! Which is partly why I haven't blogged for almost two months; the other reason being the fabulous April weather we've had this year.

No comments: